2516 Swindon Museum 15 July 1989

2301 Class 'Dean Goods' 0-6-0 2516 is pictured inside the old Great Western Railway Museum at Swindon on 15 July 1989, in the company of GWR 1912 Dennis fire engine AM2747. 260 of these simple freight locos were built between 1883 and 1899. A few managed to survive into the 1950s, working in various rural Welsh backwaters, but all had been withdrawn by 1957. 2516 is the sole survivor of the class, and had a life of nearly 60 years, being withdrawn from Oswestry shed in May 1956. Unfortunately it is no longer possible to get a reasonably uninterrupted view of this loco in its new home in the modern Swindon Steam Railway Museum.