Combe Halt 1 March 1979

Combe Halt was opened by the Great Western Railway on 8 July 1935, in order to encourage more traffic on the southern half of the Cotswold Line. Unfortunately, as can be see from this view, it was not particularly convenient for passengers, being situated in open country midway between the villages of Combe and Long Hanborough. Although reduced to a single platform with the singling of the line in 1971, otherwise it probably looks much as built in this 1 March 1979 picture, apart from the modern lampposts and signage. The station remains open, but is now backed by the inevitable lineside bushes. The bullhead track was replaced by continuous welded flat bottom rails in 1984.