Portlaoise Station Building 22 May 2018

Portlaoise Station Building, pictured on 22 May 2018. Originally called Maryborough, the station was opened in 1847 by the Great Southern and Western Railway. It later became a junction, with the opening of the Waterford & Kilkenny Railway. The station ceased to be a junction in 1963, after the closure of the short branch to Abbeyleix. The line to Kilkenny had closed the previous year.