Moredon Power Station 22 August 1978

In addition to the short section of line leading south from Swindon to Swindon Town, another length of the former MSWJR was retained after the through route closed in 1961, this time northwards to serve Moredon Power Station. The power station was opened in 1929 and continued taking in coal deliveries by rail for the next forty years. It finally closed in 1973 and was demolished in 1979 to make way for the inevitable housing estate. The trackwork is getting rapidly overgrown in this 22 August 1978 view, with Moredon's solitary cooling tower in the background. Within a few months the scene would be changed totally, with the track lifted and the power station gone.