Narrow Gauge

779 Bala 31 May 2012

Bala Lake Railway Hunslet 0-4-0ST 779 Holy War waits at Bala station on 31 May 2012. It will shortly be working the 15:00 service to Llanuwchllyn. The original Great Western Railway footbridge looks slightly out of place, now the track has downsized somewhat! The original station opened in 1934 as Bala (Llyn Tegid).

780 Pentrepiod 30 May 2016

With Bala Lake looking especially blue under a sparkling clear sky, 0-4-0ST 780 Alice approaches Pentrepiod Halt on 30 May 2016 with the 11:00 Llanuwchllyn to Bala service. The Bala Lake Railway was staging their 'Festival of Transport', with various vintage vehicles on display at Llanuwchllyn, along with an enhanced train service. The crossing in the foreground gives access to a lakeside campsite.

780 Llangower 30 May 2016

Hunslet 0-4-0ST 780 Alice approaches the unusual bracket signal at Llangower on 30 May 2016, as it works the 11:40 Bala to Llanuwchllyn service, during the Bala Lake Railway's 'Festival of Transport'. This loco, along with the several others on the line, spent its working life at the Dinorwic slate quarry.

822 Llanuwchllyn 31 May 2012

Surrounded by all the general clutter of a railway workshop, including, surprisingly a small model of itself, 1903 built Hunslet 0-4-0ST 822 Maid Marian reposes in Llanuwchllyn shed at the Bala Lake Railway on 31 May 2012. The loco spent its working life at the nearby Dinorwic slate mine.

22 Llanuwchllyn 31 May 2012

The Bala Lake Railway's interpretation of a Class 52 'Western'! The 1973 built Severn Lamb No.22 Merionnydd is pictured at Llanuwchllyn on 31 May 2012. The loco has previously appeared in liveries that would have been carried by the 'Westerns': maroon with small yellow panel, and BR blue with full yellow ends. However, this all over blue with red buffer beams is certainly different.

780 Dolfawr 30 May 2016

Baguley Drewery 0-4-0 780 Bob Davies passes Dolfawr on 30 May 2016 with the 10:15 Llanuwchllyn to Bala service. The southern section of the Bala Lake Railway has some superb photographic vantage points. This particular spot with the rustic barn, complete with rusty corrugated iron roof repairs is especially attractive. the whole scene is enhanced by some unexpected Bank Holiday Monday sunshine.

780 Pentrepiod 30 May 2016

Baguley Drewery 0-4-0 780 Bob Davies passes the diminutive Pentrepiod Halt on 30 May 2016 with the 10:50 Bala to Llanuwchllyn service. The loco was built in 1983 for the Royal Navy, and was used at Fishguard, before being purchased by Pete Briddon's Yorkshire Engine Company, and then moving to the Bala Lake Railway.

994 Bressingham 24 September 2000

The driver of Hunslet 0-4-0ST 994 George Sholto does some last minute oiling, prior to working another trip on the 2 ft gauge Nursery Railway at Bressingham on 24 September 2000. The loco was built in 1909 for the Penrhyn Quarry Railway. Bressingham Gardens was established by the late Alan Bloom in 1946, and in addition to standard gauge railway locomotives, includes this 2ft gauge line, two other miniature lines, and numerous other exhibits, including traction engines (one can be seen in the background here).

3 Maespoeth 3 June 2012

0-4-2ST 3 Sir Haydn back home on the Corris Railway on 3 June 2012. Although unable to run as its boiler certificate has expired, the former Corris Railway locomotive is a star attraction on the line, which it left in 1951 for a second life on the Talyllyn Railway. Although in need of much work, the Talyllyn obviously got a bargain, as it only cost them £25! That was cheap even in the 1950s. It is pictured standing beside the reconstructed Maespoeth Junction signal box.

6 Corris 3 June 2012

Corris Railway Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 No.6 propels its train into Corris station on 3 June 2012. Holy Trinity church can be seen in the background, the railway following the eastern edge of the graveyard as it enters the station from the Maespoeth direction. This 1966 built locomotive was originally 2' 6" gauge, and was regauged on arrival at Corris to 2' 3".

6 Maespoeth 29 May 2016

Conversation piece at Maespoeth on 29 May 2016, during the Corris Railway's Gala Day. The crew of Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 No.6 discuss some operational point with the signalman, before working the late running 14:08 Maespoeth to Corris, conveying the two wagons that had previously worked down on the gravity train, plus a brake van.

7 & 3 Maespoeth 3 June 2012

Corris Railway 0-4-2ST No.7 waits in the rain at Maespoeth to form the next train back to Corris on 3 June 2012. Directly behind it is one of the line's original locomotives - No. 3 Sir Haydn, which is on loan from the Talyllyn Railway, its adopted home since the 1950s.

7 Corris 29 May 2016

Winson Engineering built 0-4-2ST No.7 arrives at Corris on 29 May 2016 with the 13:40 Maespoeth to Corris service, during the Corris Railway's Gala Day. As can be seen, much use is made of the local slate for lineside walls.

25721 Corris 29 May 2016

In 2015 the Corris Railway acquired this Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0 diesel hydraulic locomotive from Mauterndorf in Austria. 25721 was built in 1957 for a construction company in Vienna. A slight change of gauge (from 760 mm to 687 mm) was required before it could be used in Wales. It is pictured here at Corris on 29 May 2016.

9 Maespoeth 29 May 2016

The Corris Railway's diminutive Clayton 0-4-0 battery electric locomotive No.9 Aberllefenni is pictured inside the carriage shed at Maespoeth on 29 May 2016. The loco was built by Clayton in 1974 for the Aberllefenni Slate Quarry.

Corris Gravity Train 29 May 2016

One of the highlights of the Corris Railway's Gala on 29 May 2016 was the working of the gravity train. Here, the first of the two departures (13:25) is pushed out of Corris station. In the background is the line's recently acquired Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0 diesel hydraulic locomotive 25721.

Corris Gravity Train 29 May 2016

The Corris Railway's 13:25 gravity train finally begins to roll after being pushed out of Corris station on 29 May 2016, during the line's Gala Day.  At present the line runs for approximately one mile down the Afon Dulas Valley from Corris to Maespoeth.

Maespoeth Gravity Train 29 May 2016

The 15:50 Corris to Maespoeth gravity train approaches its destination on 29 May 2016, during the Corris Railway's Gala Day. Note the brakesman controlling the descent. The very photogenic location and some unexpected, and very untypical, warm sunny bank holiday weather makes for an interesting picture.

10 The Cob 2 June 2012

In typically gloomy Welsh weather, Ffestiniog Railway 0-4-4-0T 10 Merddin Emrys crosses the Cob with the 13:35 Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog service on 2 June 2012. This mile long embankment predates the railway, being built in 1811 for land reclamation purposes.

12 Blaenau Ffestiniog 4 June 2005

Ffestiniog Railway Fairlie 12 David Lloyd George leaves Blaenau Ffestiniog with the 11:45 train to Porthmadog on 4 June 2005. It had just about stopped raining, but the clouds are still enveloping the mountains in the background. Note the standard gauge line to Llandudno Junction in the foreground. David Lloyd George was built at the railway's Boston Lodge works in 1992, and is the most powerful double Fairlie locomotive in the world.

12 Porthmadog 20 October 2014

Ffestiniog Railway Fairlie 0-4-4-0T 12 David Lloyd George stands in the pouring rain at Porthmadog station on 20 October 2014, prior to working the 10:10 service to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Despite getting the camera soaked during the brief time that it took to take this picture, the result is worth it, as it just typifies Welsh weather!

12 Blaenau Ffestiniog 20 October 2014

Ffestiniog Railway Fairlie 0-4-4-0T 12 David Lloyd George stands at Blaenau Ffestiniog station on 20 October 2014, after having just arrived with the 10:10 service from Porthmadog. Even if the location wasn't already easily identifiable, the sign leaves little doubt!

12 Porthmadog 21 October 2014

Ffestiniog Railway Fairlie 0-4-4-0T 12 David Lloyd George arrives at Porthmadog station on 12 October 2014, after having just crossed the Cob from Boston Lodge. It would shortly be working the 10:10 service to Blaenau Ffestiniog. I particularly like the way the exhaust stands out against the dark clouds, and the backlighting of the red semaphore signal spectacles.

Criccieth Castle The Cob 2 June 2012

Two modes of transport travel along the Cob at Porthmadog on 2 June 2012. The Ffestiniog Railway's 0-6-0 diesel locomotive Criccieth Castle draws the 12:55 train from Caernarfon into Porthmadog station, whilst motorists travel at roughly the same sedate speed as they arrive at the town. The Welsh Highland Railway's Garratt locomotive No. 87 is on the rear of the train, which must perform this reversal in order to enter the station. The single Valerian plant growing from the wall in the foreground adds some colour to the scene.

Harlech Castle Minffordd 19 October 2014

Ffestiniog Railway 0-6-0 diesel hydraulic loco Harlech Castle pulls away from a brief stop at Minffordd station on 19 October 2014, with an engineering train heading for the nearby Minffordd Yard. Harlech Castle was built by Baguley-Drewry Ltd in 1983. It had originally been destined for use in Mozambique. As delivered it fouled the Ffestiniog loading gauge, and was only able to be used in Minffordd Yard. After being fitted with a reduced height cab, it was able to be used all along the line, as a civil engineer's loco.

Vale of Ffestiniog Blaenau Ffestiog 7 August 2002

Under a typically grey North Wales sky, Funkey B-B diesel hydraulic Vale of Ffestiniog stands at Blaenau Ffestiniog on 7 August 2002 waiting to depart for Porthmadog, although there is a distinct lack of passengers! Although since repainted green, it is seen here in the National Power livery, as worn by the standard gauge Class 59/2s. This also explains the Vale of Ffestiniog name, which ties in with the names of its larger cousins.

Vale of Ffestiniog Porthmadog 21 October 2014

Ffestiniog Railway diesel hydraulic Vale of Ffestiniog stands at Porthmadog station on 21 October 2014, after having just propelled a rake of coaching stock into the new Welsh Highland Railway platform, in readiness for the 10:45 departure to Caernarfon. It was a generally cloudy morning, but a small hole appeared in the blanket of dark clouds after the loco and stock had left the sidings visible on the left of the picture. I hoped that the sun would stay out long enough for a decent picture once the train had backed into the platform. Luckily the train backed in without delay, and I had a few seconds worth of stunning light before the clouds blotted out the sun again.

6 Port Erin Museum 9 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.6 Peveril, pictured inside the Port Erin Museum on 9 May 2017. She was built in 1875 by Beyer Peacock & Co, and worked on the line until 1960. There is still a possibility that one day it will be restored to working order, despite being out of use for over half a century.

8 Port Soderick 12 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.8 Fenella arrives at Port Soderick station on 12 May 2017 with the 11:50 Douglas to Port Erin service. The train stopped briefly, but no passengers either joined or alighted. In fact apart from us two photographers, there seemed to be nobody in the vicinity at all. Fenella is now the only working loco of the original smaller engines.

12 Douglas 8 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.12 Hutchinson, pictured at Douglas station on 8 May 2017, after arriving with the 14:00 service from Port Erin. The loco was built by Beyer, Peacock & Co, and was delivered to the island in 1908.

12 Santon 8 May 2017

Late spring on the Isle of Man Steam Railway, and the fresh green foliage contrasts nicely with the loco's 'Indian Red' livery, as well as the red and cream of the coaches. 2-4-0T No.12 Hutchinson whistles as it approaches Santon on 8 May 2017 with the 15:50 Douglas to Port Erin service.

12 Ballabeg 8 May 2017

Ballabeg is one of the Isle of Man Steam Railway's smaller stations, and is little used. Being a request stop, trains often pass straight through, as is the case here, as Beyer, Peacock & Co. 2-4-0T No.12 Hutchinson steams through on 8 May 2017 with the 15:50 Douglas to Port Erin service. This station building is not the original, but was formerly a permanent way hut, with a canopy added in 1982. The station is in open countryside, some distance from the village of Ballabeg, on the A28 towards Castletown.

12 Castletown 9 May 2017

A pair of Isle of Man Steam Railway trains cross at Castletown on 9 May 2017. 2-4-0T No.12 Hutchinson arrives with the 11:50 Douglas to Port Erin service. The picture is taken from the 12:00 Port Erin to Douglas service, led by No.13 Kissack.

12 Hutchinson 12 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.12 Hutchinson waits at Castletown station on 12 May 2017 with the 10:00 Port Erin to Douglas. Already 15 minutes late, it would have to wait for a further seven minutes, as the 09:50 train from Douglas, hauled by No.13 Kissack, with which it was due to cross, was now running 22 minutes behind time.

13 Port Erin 9 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.13 Kissack stands next to the water tank at Port Erin, after arriving with the 09:50 service from Douglas on 9 May 2017. Kissack was the island's penultimate steam loco, arriving in 1910.

13 Douglas 9 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.13 Kissack stands at Douglas station on 9 May 2017, having just backed onto the stock that will form the 13:50 service to Port Erin. The dark Brunswick green livery is non-standard on the island.

13 Douglas 11 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.13 Kissack stands at Douglas station on 11 May 2017, prior to working the unadvertised additional 19:00 'Pie and Mash' dining special to Port Erin. The weak low evening sunshine certainly highlights the red brickwork of the station building in the background.

13 Ballaquiggin 12 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.13 Kissack passes Ballaquiggin (between Port Soderick and Santon) with the 09:50 Douglas to Port Erin service on 12 May 2017. Presumably it would have taken less time to raise steam on this occasion, as the loco was used the previous evening for a 'Pie and Mash' special, arriving back at Douglas after 22:40.

13 Castletown 12 May 2017

Running over 20 minutes late, the Isle of Man Steam Railway's 2-4-0T No.13 Kissack arrives at Castletown station on 12 May 2017 with the 09:50 Douglas to Port Erin service. The track in the foreground formerly served the station's goods shed.

16 Port Erin Museum 9 May 2017

The Isle of Man Steam Railway's newest steam locomotive, 2-4-0T No.16 Mannin, pictured inside the Port Erin Museum on 9 May 2017. The loco was built in 1926, and was a more powerful version of the line's other 2-4-0s. She was withdrawn in 1964.

18 Douglas 9 May 2017

Isle of Man Steam Railway 0-4-0 diesel locomotive No.18 Ailsa stands at the head of a rake of coaching stock in Douglas station on the morning of 9 May 2017. Ailsa was built by the Hunslet Engine Co. in 1994 for use during the construction of the Channel Tunnel. However, it wasn't used, and instead was regauged, and used on the Jubilee Line extension of the London Underground. It then reverted to its original gauge and moved to the Isle of Man. The original intended use of the loco is reflected in its reduced height, which slightly restricts the driver's view. This explains the addition of cameras on arms attached to the corners of the loco.

1 Gilfach Ddu 6 August 2002

Hunslet 0-4-0ST 1 Elidir gets a drink at Gilfach Ddu station on the Llanberis Lake Railway prior to working its next train to Penllyn on 6 August 2002. Built in 1899 for the Dinorwic Quarry line, this little locomotive was originally named Red Damsel. When this picture was taken all passenger services started from Gilfach Ddu, however the following year an extension was opened to Llanberis with a new station not far from the Snowdon Mountain Railway's terminus.

2 Gilfach Ddu 6 August 2002

On 6 August 2002, Hunslet 0-4-0ST 2 Thomas Bach simmers gently in front of the 1870 built former quarry workshops at Gilfach Ddu station, on the Llanberis Lake Railway. This large range of buildings are now used to house the National Slate Museum. Thomas Bach was originally named Wild Aster when delivered to the Dinorwic Quarries in 1904.

12 Snowdon 6 August 2002

Snowdon Mountain Railway 0-4-0 diesel locomotive 12 George pushes its single coach up the mountain on 6 August 2002. Built by the Hunslet Engine Co, Leeds in 1992, this is the last of a batch of four similar locos that were added to the resident steam fleet from 1986 onwards. It is powered by a 12 litre 320 Horsepower (238 kW) six cylinder turbocharged Rolls Royce engine.

5129 Swinefleet 1 September 2002

Schöma 0-4-0 86hp 5129 and its slave unit stand amid the weeds near Red House Farm, Swinefleet on 1 September 2002, shortly after the 3 ft gauge peat railway ceased operations. This view is looking towards Goole, and Drax Power Station can clearly be seen on the horizon. This loco was one of a pair that were used on the line its later years, and they were considerably more powerful than anything used previously. The lines stretched for miles onto Goole and Swinefleet Moors, with both permanent and semi-permanent sections of track laid to reach the various peat cutting areas. The site, which had been operated by Fisons, Levingtons, and finally Scotts, has now been taken over by English Nature.

5129 Swinefleet 1 September 2002

Schöma 0-4-0 5129 is pictured in its final resting place on the Swinefleet Peat Railway, next to the access road to Red House Farm on 1 September 2002. Judging by the encroaching vegetation, it clearly hadn't moved for a while.

5129 Swinefleet 1 September 2002

When the 3ft gauge Swinefleet Peat Railway ceased operations in July 2000, the line's Schöma 0-4-0 diesel locomotive 5129, and a line wagons were left abandoned either side of the concrete access road to Red House Farm. This slightly unusual viewpoint taken on 1 September 2002 shows the wagons, with 5129 visible at the far end of the rake. The road to the farm crosses the stubble fields on the right, and accesses the farm via a bridge over the Swinefleet Warping Drain, a ditch which can be seen paralleling the line on the left.

5129 Hardingham 29 May 2014

Schöma 0-4-0 5129 stands forlornly amidst other assorted narrow gauge equipment in the privately owned station yard at Hardingham, next to the Mid Norfolk Railway. This 1990 built locomotive was formerly used at the Swinefleet and Hatfield Moors peat railways, which closed in 2000 and 2006 respectively. A nice reuse of a Thomas the Tank Engine banner! The picture was taken from the 13:45 Wymondham Abbey to Dereham DMU on 29 May 2014.

5220 Hardingham 29 May 2014

Formerly of the Swinefleet and Hatfield Moors peat railways, Schöma 0-4-0 5220 stands amongst the weeds in the yard of Hardingham station next to the Mid Norfolk Railway on 29 May 2014. Photo taken from the passing 13:45 Wymondham Abbey to Dereham DMU. Whilst in use at Hatfield the loco was named The Thomas Buck. The mark left by the removal of the nameplate can just be seen above the radiator. The name seems to have been transferred to sister loco 5130, which has been preserved as a static exhibit at the Hatfield Moors works.

40s302 Bank Top 1 September 2002

Motor Rail 0-4-0 40hp 40s302 stands abandoned in the grass at Bank Top, on the Swinefleet Peat Railway on 1 September 2002. Surrounded by more discarded equipment, and on the opposite of the rough track to the surviving railway line, this loco has obviously seen better days! The 3 ft gauge line had just recently closed, although this particular loco had been out of use since 1996. Like most of the locos used on the line it had been modified throughout its life, the cab in particular been altered.

1 Abergynolwyn 3 June 2012

Fletcher Jennings & Co 0-4-2ST 1 Talyllyn arrives at a rain soaked Abergynolwyn station on 3 June 2012 with the 10:30 service from Tywyn Wharf to Nant Gwernol. This was the Talyllyn Railway's first locomotive, which was originally constructed as a 0-4-0ST. Poor stability soon led to the addition of trailing wheels. A cab was also added (very necessary in weather like this!).

4 Quarry Siding 20 May 2006

Talyllyn reflection. Former Corris Railway 1921 built Kerr Stuart & Co. 0-4-2ST No.4 Edward Thomas is reflected in the windows of my train (hauled by No. 2 Dolgoch), as the two trains cross at Quarry Sidings on 20 May 2006. Edward Thomas is working the 15:00 Tywyn Wharf to Nant Gwernol, whilst I am on board the 15:00 Nant Gwernol to Tywyn Wharf service.

2 Tywyn Wharf 20 May 2006

Token exchange at Tywyn Wharf, on the Talylln Railway. Fletcher Jennings & Co 0-4-0WT 2 Dolgoch arrives with the 11:35 service from Nant Gwernol on 20 May 2006. This is one of the line's two original locomotives, and the only one that was operational when the preservation society took over in 1951.

2 Nant Gwernol 20 May 2006

After having arrived at Nant Gwernol with the 13:55 train from Tywyn Wharf, 0-4-0WT 2 Dolgoch runs round its train on 20 May 2006, before heading back down the valley with the 15:00 departure. This is the eastern extremity of the Talyllyn Railway. It opened to passengers in 1976, having only been served by slate trains in pre-preservation days.

5 Abergynolwyn 3 June 2012

Talyllyn Railway Ruston 0-4-0 diesel No.5 (formerly named Midlander) waits in the rain at Abergynolwyn station on 3 June 2012. It had just brought a party of young volunteers up from Tywyn, and is now waiting to return to Pendre. Built in 1941, this locomotive was acquired by the railway in 1957 and proved itself to be extremely useful in the early preservation era.

Justine Toddington 25 April 2011

0-4-0WT Justine rests inside the shed of the two foot gauge Toddington Narrow Gauge Railway on 25 April 2011. She was built by Arnold Jung of Germany in 1906 and used in a wide range of industrial applications on the continent, before coming to England in 1975. Behind her is 1953 built Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 diesel mechanical shunter 354028, with the partially dismantled 1936 built 181820 (also by Ruston & Hornsby) at the rear of the shed.

2 Caernarfon 7 August 2002

The world's oldest regularly worked steam locomotive, the Ffestiniog Railway's 1864 built 0-4-0ST 2 Prince waits to leave Caernarfon station on the Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon) with the 17:00 service to Waunfawr on 7 August 2002. The thirteenth century Caernarfon Castle can be seen in the background.

87 Porthmadog 2 June 2012

Welsh Highland Railway ex South African Garratt No. 87 weaves across Porthmadog High Street, as it arrives at the Ffestiniog Railway's station with the 12:55 service from Caernarfon on 2 June 2012. As well as the impressive scenery further up the line, this long level crossing with the track actually running along the road for a short distance is one of the highlights of the line.

87 Beddgelert 21 October 2014

Welsh Highland Railway Garratt 87 pulls into Beddgelert station on 21 October 2014 with the 10:00 Caernarfon to Porthmadog service. Viewed from the 10:45 Porthmadog to Caernarfon train. Despite the fact that the station would presumably increase tourism, there was much local opposition to the reopening of Beddgelert station.

133 Dinas 7 August 2002

The rusting hulk of former South African Narrow Gauge Railways NG15 Class 2-8-2 133 awaits restoration at Dinas on 7 August 2002. The Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon) acquired this 1953 Belgium built loco in 1998. Note the fully loaded ballast wagons in the background for use on the extension to Rhyd Ddu.

143 Caernarfon 7 August 2002

If you want to see Beyer-Garratts in the UK go to North Wales. The Welsh Highland Railway has a selection of these impressive beasts. On 7 August 2002 Beyer Peacock's final steam locomotive - the 1968 built NGG16 Class 2-6-2+2-6-2 143 takes water at Caernarfon.

143 Rhyd Ddu 1 June 2012

A pair of ex South African Railways Garratts crossing on the Welsh Highland Railway on 1 June 2012. Beyer Peacock 143 arrives at Rhyd Ddu with the 11:15 Caernarfon to Porthmadog service. The picture is taken from onboard the 11:00 Porthmadog to Caernarfon, headed by Cockerill built No. 87, which can just be seen taking water.

143 Caernarfon 21 October 2014

Welsh Highland Railway NGG16 Class 2-6-2+2-6-2 143 takes water at Caernarfon during a torrential downpour on 21 October 2014. This unusual viewpoint, looking down from a footpath that runs above the line, is in marked contrast to the same loco (in a different livery), at the same spot twelve years earlier.

143 & 12 Porthmadog 21 October 2014

A narrow gauge motive power contrast at Porthmadog on 21 October 2014. On the right, Beyer Garrett NGG16 Class 2-6-2+2-6-2 143 has just arrived with the 14:15 Welsh Highland Railway service from Caernarfon, while on the left Ffestiniog Railway Fairlie 0-4-4-0T 12 David Lloyd George has just moved forward in readiness to shunt the empty stock off the 15:05 train from Blaenau Ffestiniog. This picture gives a good view of the new £1m platform, which allows both Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland trains to occupy the station at the same time.

Upnor Castle Dinas 7 August 2002

1954 built Hibberd 0-4-0 diesel loco Upnor Castle is pictured at Dinas on the Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon) on 7 August 2002. The loco had previously spent nearly two decades on the nearby Ffestiniog Railway. This side view clearly shows the chain drive and the large sand boxes.

Castell Caernarfon Caernarfon 7 August 2002

1967 built Funkey (the manufacturer not my adjective!) B-B diesel locomotive Castell Caernarfon ambles past the water tower at Caernarfon station on the Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon) on 7 August 2002. The loco, which originally worked on the Port Elizabeth line in South Africa, is one of the most powerful narrow gauge diesels in the UK by virtue of its 335hp turbocharged Cummins engine. The yellow stripes had only just been added when this picture was taken.

1 Llanfair Caereinion 4 August 2002

The Welshpool & Llanfair Railway's 1946 built Andrew Barclay 0-4-0T 1 Dougal is certainly an unusual locomotive. Especially built to negotiate the restricted height tunnels in the Glasgow City Gas Department's Provan Gas Works, this diminutive locomotive is dwarfed even by other narrow gauge stock. Note also the short wheelbase (to traverse tight radius curves) and consequent lengthy front and rear overhang. It is pictured here at Llanfair Caereinion on 4 August 2002.

822 Welshpool 4 August 2002

Welshpool & Llanfair Railway 0-6-0T 822 The Earl has its water tanks topped up at Welshpool on 4 August 2002. Built by Beyer Peacock in 1903, 822 is one of the line's original two locomotives, the other being 823 Countess. Note the large cast number plate, dating from its days as part of the Great Western Railway fleet.

2 Dolarddyn 2 August 1987

Welshpool & Llanfair Railway 0-6-0T 2 The Countess passes Dolarddyn with the final Welshpool to Llanfair train of the day on 2 August 1987. She is one of the original locomotives built for the line in 1903 by Beyer Peacock. The other loco built at the same time is 1 The Earl. Unlike many Welsh narrow gauge railways built to exploit the slate industry, this line was built to serve a purely agricultural area, and not surprisingly never made a profit.

823 Welshpool 4 June 2012

Welshpool & Llanfair Railway 0-6-0T 823 Countess waits beneath the water tower at Welshpool on 4 June 2012. prior to working the 12:45 train to Llanfair Caereinion. Ironically I had photographed the line's other original locomotive, 822 The Earl at the same location almost a decade previously.